CO2 Recovery System for Super Critical Process
We have already started collecting CO2 and recycling it back to the process of Hops Extraction. Hypro successfully supplied CO2 Recovery Plant of 700 kg/hr capacity to YCH through ICC Group, United States. The technology – conceptualization by Hypro MD Mr. Ravi Varma makes the whole CO2 System one of a kind. Hypro Engineers indigenously worked on the design, development, and manufacturing of the plant. Installation and commissioning of this extraordinary system to Yakima Chief Hops (YCH) are carried out successfully. Hypro has developed unique technology and method of CO2 collection and further purification for Super Critical Hops Extraction Process. The recovery process post purification is a standard system and derives from our experience in CO2 recovery for breweries.
This CO2 recovery plant is based on feed from a Hops Drying unit. This is comparatively low pressure system, less than 260 psi compared to 600 to 900 psig traditional systems. System averages the peaks which results into a smaller compact system for CO2 Collection. It operates at high CO2 Recovery efficiency exceeding 90 to 95% of recoverable CO2. The purification and compression equipments from the oils and hop dust, ensures longer life and continual plant operation over long time periods.
In addition, CO2 release to atmosphere will be cut down by more than 80% with this recovery system. We can also look at cutting down the new CO2 purchase/day or in other words increase the CO2 recovery further with an additional system and cut down on green house gas emissions and contribute to a greener and cleaner earth.
- Capacity upto 700 kg/hr capacity
- CO2 purity achieved by the process is in excess of 99.997 % v/v.
- Comparatively low pressure system, < 260 psi compared to 600 to 900 psig traditional systems
- Energy savings - Nearly 40% of CO2 is processed without any compression energy demand or pumping demand
- The system averages the peaks, which results into a smaller compact system for CO2 collection
- The system operates at high CO2 recovery efficiency exceeding 90 to 95% of recoverable CO2
- The system protects the purification and compression equipments from the oils and hops dust, ensures longer life
- CO2 release to atmosphere will be cut down by more than 80% with this recovery system
- Cutting down the new CO2 purchase/day and cut down on green house gas emissions
The CO2 from the extractors is vented out from the hops extractors at high pressure between 700 to 900 psig based on the hops variety and extraction process parameters. This CO2 contains hop oils, hop dust, other hydro carbon traces, oxygen and moisture as impurities in it. These components get into the CO2 during super critical hops extraction process. The challenge for recovery is that the large quantity of CO2 1500 to 1700 lb per batch at high pressure is released within 20 minutes. The system first collects more than 80 to 90 % of the released CO2 into two pressure buffer tanks operating at pressures of 150 to 350 psig for the first stage and 15 to 65 psig for the second stage. The buffer tanks then release CO2 for purification at a controlled out flow.
- Easy to operate and maintain
- Simple and reliable
- Continual plant operation over long time periods
- Cut down on green house gas emissions and contribute to a greener and cleaner earth
Compare with Similar Products
MEE CO2 Recovery Plant for Super Critical Process
- Upto 700 kg/hr Liquid CO2 produced
- Recovers CO2 from Super Critical Process of Hops Extraction
- Ideal for large scale production
MEE CO2 Recovery Plant
- Upto 1000 kg/hr Liquid CO2 produced
- Recovers CO2 from Breweries, Distilleries, and Wineries
- Ideal for large scale production
HyCrCTM Plant for Craft Breweries
- Upto 30 kg/hr Liquid CO2 produced
- Recovers CO2 from Micro/Pub/Craft Breweries
- Ideal for small scale production
Often Combined with
When Hypro was first approached by ICC Group, it took nearly a year to come out with a design that would work for the process conditions at YCH and yet be simple, reliable and sustainable.
Post in depth study and several interactions including visit from Hypro to overview the operating conditions we came up with a design which is pit to test and are confident it will deliver. We have already started collecting CO2 and recycling it back to the process of Hops Extraction.
CO2 contains hop oils, hop dust, other hydro carbon traces, oxygen and moisture as impurities in it.
The purification step involves, dust separation, oils mist or liquid droplets, aerosols separation by coalescing down to less than 0.1 um. The CO2 is then fed to adsorption towers for separation of oil in vapor form, other vapor hydrocarbons and moisture
If on average 20,000 lb CO2 was released to the atmosphere per day then this system would capture and recycle more than 16,000 lb/ day which means that the CO2 emissions to atmosphere would be cut down to 16,000 lb/day. The purchase of fresh CO2 will now be not more than 4,000 lb/day.
Super Critical CO2 Extraction kills all microbial bacteria, mold, and insects which results in pure Hops Extract.